Hyderabad: In an unusual move, the Telangana government has extended the last date for discounts on traffic challans to February 15 owing to heavy rush and to ease the financial burden on the general public.
The last date for the discount on traffic challans in Telangana was initially set for January 10, and it was extended to January 31.
It is atypical of the administration to increase deadlines on traffic challans, however, the Congress government has decided to extend the deadline for a second time.
In 2022, the discount on traffic challans in Telangana began on March 1, with an initial deadline of March 31. However, it was later extended to April 14, with no further extensions provided.
Hyderabad police commissioner transfers 85 Punjagutta cops; here’s why
Discounts not applicable for all violations
Although the discounts on challans apply to all types of vehicles in Telangana, they are not available for all violations.
The Telangana State Police integrated e-challan system portal mentions that the discount on pending challans is applicable only up to the date of the offense on December 25, 2023.
For traffic violations committed after December 25, 2023, violators have to pay the challan without any discount.
Discounts on traffic challan in Telangana till the last date
As per the earlier announcement, the following are the category-wise discounts on traffic challans in Telangana until the last date, which is today.
- For two-wheelers and autos, paying 20 percent of the challan will waive the remaining 80 percent.
- For push carts and petty vendors (39b cases), paying 10 percent of the traffic challan will waive the remaining 90 percent.
- For light motor vehicles (LMVs), cars, jeeps, and heavy vehicles, paying 40 percent will waive the remaining 60 percent.
- For Road Transport Corporation (RTC) drivers, paying 10 percent of the traffic challan will waive the remaining 90 percent.