Mohammed Asfan, Hyderabad youth duped into joining Russia-Ukraine war, killed

Hyderabad Desk

Hyderabad: A 30-year-old man from Hyderabad, who was allegedly duped into joining the Russian-Ukraine war, has been killed, officials said on Wednesday, March 6.

Earlier, AIMIM chief and Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi had received a message from the family of deceased Mohammed Asfan, requesting help in getting him back from Russia. AIMIM recently contacted the Indian Embassy in Moscow, which confirmed Asfan’s death.

Asfan and others were allegedly misled by an agents, who recruited them as ‘army helpers’ to aid the Russian military during the conflict. They were told that they were being hired for non-combatant roles.

Many Indian youth have been tricked into joining the Russian military in the ongoing war. 

Also Read

Karnataka govt writes to MEA to rescue 3 men forced into Russia’s war

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) responded to the media reports last month by stating that the Indian government was making every effort to secure the “early discharge” of twenty Indian citizens who are serving as support staff for the Russian army.

Spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal added that India keeps in frequent contact with Moscow and New Delhi authorities in Russia to guarantee the safe return of the Indians.

Afsan, employed as a salesman at a clothing showroom, stumbled upon a job opportunity in Moscow. “Like other youths, he was enticed by the promise of a monthly salary starting at Rs 45,000 for the first three months, gradually rising to Rs 1.5 lakh. Additionally, after a year of work, he could pursue Russian citizenship,” explained Imran, his brother.

Afsan departed for Moscow on November 9, drawn by the lucrative offer.

His last video call, made from the Russia-Ukraine border, was on December 31. “Since then, there has been no communication, and we recently learned he suffered a leg injury. We urge the government to intervene and facilitate their evacuation,” Imran had told the reporters.


Also Read

Share:

Tags